Monday, May 18, 2009

1 Down...12 More (weeks) to Go!

Total Distance Ran to Date (beginning 5/10/09): 17.5 miles

Ok, official start of week two has begun! So far so good - staying right on schedule with my runs. Here's a pic of our last group run in Central Park this past Saturday. It rained for a little bit, but I imagine I'll be praying for rain on the morning of August 16th so there were no complaints on my end...



After the group practive went to visit the TNT-friendly folks at Urban Athletics to have my sneaks examined. Turns out my shoes were too small; one needs a half-size larger shoe when distance running because the toes will swell. This notion totally makes sense to me, but I hadn't given it any thought before then.

They also took a look at my stride and I overpronate - which sounds much worse than it is but still worth addressing to ensure running success. "Pronation" is the rolling of the foot from heel to toe through the foot strike. A proper or neutral pronation is hitting the outside of the heel and up to ball of your foot evenly across the front. This is how your foot reduces the stress of impact. Overpronation is too much roll across from the outside to the inside of your foot and could cause me pain as I continue to run. One pink pair of Asics shoes later, problem solved.

Lastly, joined a gym today to make sure I properly cross-train and build up some strong legs - these babies have to carry me across the finish line! I'm looking forward to strengthening my core and stretching my muscles through some yoga, building endurance with some cycling, and keeping a 10-min mile pace on a treadmill. Woo hoo!

I'm starting to get my ducks all lined up in a row to truly dig in and start doing this thing. I want to pick up a watch and a few more dryfit clothes for the long hot summer ahead and then I think I'm ready to rock!

xoxo,
SR

1 comment: